Saturday, January 17, 2009

Italian Restaurants in Arlington/Alexandria

I have lived in the DC region going on 7 years and have had a difficult time finding decent Italian restaurants that don't cost an arm and a leg. There are quite a few in Baltimore, but you're likely to find better Peruvian or Ethiopian here than Italian cuisine. I am pretty happy with three as regular eating "haunts:"

1. Cafe Italia - This Crystal City restaurant on 23rd Street in Arlington serves basic Italian food, no frills, but their menu is traditional and their marinara sauce (or gravy) is possibly the best in the Beltway. Sometimes the service is frenetic and the atmosphere isn't Le Cirque, but I go to eat not oggle the space.

2. Atlantis - King Street's Bradlee Shopping Center in Alexandria, near Farlington Towne, is this host to this neighborhood landmark. They have good Italian offerings and pizza, but their Greek is better. The decor is out of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but I don't care.

3. Mom's Pizza Restaurant - At the intersection of Glebe Rd and Columbia Pike, this small place with pre-modern decor (I think there's a theme here) is better than just an adequate pizza palace. It serves up some great Italian. Their basic garlic bread is also the best in the area, bar none. Their Lasagna is also very good.

These places probably aren't of the local grown/organic/hormone free school, but their food is consistently tasty, and, to me, that's what counts. I know there are more renown places in the area, but these three places are great values and should not be confused with the Cafe Milanos and Toscas of the region.

4 comments:

  1. I love restaurant recommendations. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife and I agree that this area lacks good Italian restaurants. May I suggest La Piazza (http://www.lapiazzaoldtown.com/) next to the Braddock Road metro? It's very low key and casual. We also like Monroe's (http://www.monroesrestaurant.com).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestions. We will check them out soon after the inauguration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This got me thinking about a place I haven't been in a while, Il Porto's on King Street in Old Town. As I recall, lots of tomato sauce. I love Mediterranean food with lots of tomato sauce.

    ReplyDelete