Saturday, February 6, 2010

Snaux Pas - Snow Etiquette

After the last snowstorm and with the current onslaught of another 20+ inches,  neighbors in the ShirlingtonCircle region have a hard time with keeping their wits about them.  You'd think in the DC area where so many people make a living defending our country and in one of the most educated cities in the US, we'd all be able to dig out a car and drive in the street correctly.  Here are some tips to deal with the snow:

1.  Clean off all the snow on your car, including the top.  I don't know how many time's I've seen cars with 12+ inches of snow on the roof.  It's a safety hazard to all those around you.   I saw it on a WMATA jeep that drove by and almost lost it.   If it falls off on a highway, people may die...I'm not kidding.

2.  If you dig out your car, and then drive somewhere,  it's not your spot any longer.  I'm possessive of my "professional" dig out work too, but I accept the consequences if I have to leave my spot all alone.  Placing chairs, signs, or some kitty litter bucket in the space makes you look like a real lazy person.

3.When you go to the store at the last minute to get food, be patient.  Last night at Giant I saw some of the most inconsiderate people getting pissed off at the cashiers (who were kindly working overtime) because it took 30 minutes to check out (even though there were 25 people in line).  I think the least we can do is be considerate, after all, especially if there is a snowpocalypse a comin'.  I don't want to be caught up in a store riot because some woman went after a store employee.

4. Clear you sidewalk.  No brainer right?  We'll for 25% of our neighbors they choose to stay inside while others slip and slide on their portion of the sidewalk.  Granted elderly, disabled, and pregnant folks are exempt.  Wouldn't it be neighborly to get out of your house/condo for 15 minutes to clear your walk?  I know some of us condo dwellers pay fees to have snow removal/clearing, but I've also realized that sometimes the people who are hired to clear the walks shovel them like they've never shoveled before (i.e. they leave only 1/2 the walkway shoveled). So, when you get A LOT of snow you should still clear your walk, even if you have to use your hands.  Don't be lazy or act out against the snow removal crew who didn't clear anything, do the safe thing.

5.  Build snow sculptures.  DC sees so few inches per year...so try attempting a piece of architecture or a family-friendly snowperson.  It also shows a neighborhood that plays together stays together.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment